2017 Workloads Institute: 'Something's Happenin' Here'
Friday, November 17, 2017 - 8:30am to Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 1:00pm
The Workloads Institute is an institute for leaders to learn and leverage what other public defender organizations are doing to combat excessive workloads.
To register for the 2017 conference:
Contact Heather H. Hall - email@example.com.
St. Louis City Center Hotel / 855-537-4770 or click HERE, mention NAPD for the $125 rate
$350 for NAPD members / $300 for members sending 3+ defenders / $400 for nonmembers
- Michael Barrett, State Public Defender, Missouri State Public Defender System
- Bennet Baur, State Public Defender, Law Offices of the New Mexico Public Defender
- Robert C. Boruchowitz, Director, The Defender Initiative, Seattle University School of Law (WA)
- Derwyn Bunton, District Defender, Orleans Public Defenders (LA)
- Dawn Deaner, Public Defender, Metropolitan Nashville-Davidson Public Defender's Office (TN)
- Stephen F. Hanlon, General Counsel, NAPD; SLU LAW Professor of Practice
- Bill Leahy, Director, NYS Office of Indigent Legal Services
- Lurene Kelley, Special Asst., Organizational Communication, Shelby Co. Public Defender (TN)
- Norm Lefstein, Prof./Dean Emeritus at Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Carlos Martinez, Miami-Dade Public Defender (FL)
- Issac Merkle, Director of Information Technology, Knox County Public Defenders CLO (TN)
- Ed Monahan, Public Advocate, Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy
- Mark Stephens, District Defender, Knox County Public Defenders Community Law Office (TN)
- Doug Wilson, State Public Defender, Office of the Colorado State Public Defender
Learn about SLU LAW Professor of Practice Stephen F. Hanlon and his work as general counsel of the National Association of Public Defense (NAPD).
FRIDAY, NOV. 17
8:30 -8:45 a.m. — Welcome
8:45 - 9:45 a.m. — What Have We Learned About Workloads in the Last Six Years: From Missouri to New Mexico
Faculty: Steve Hanlon
9:45 - 10:30 a.m. — What is a Lawyer's Obligation to Control Workloads?
Faculty: Norman Lefstein
10:30 - 10:45 a.m. — Break
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. — Small Group Sessions
12:15 - 1:15 p.m. — [Working Lunch] Workload Limits: How New York Achieved Reform After Decades of Failure
Faculty: Bill Leahy
1:15 - 1:30 p.m. — Break
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. — On a Tight Rope: Balancing Ethical Obligations & Political Realities When it Comes to Workloads
Faculty: Michael Barrett & Bennet Baur
2:30 - 3:45 p.m. — Developing Strategies: Legislative, Demand Side, and Media
Faculty: Lurene Kelley, Ed Monahan & Doug Wilson
3:45 - 4 p.m. — Break
4 - 5 p.m. — Is There an Effective Workload Control Strategy Other than Litigation?
Faculty: Derwyn Bunton & Dawn Deaner
5 - 6 p.m. —Small Group Sessions
SATURDAY, NOV. 18
8:30 - 9:30 a.m. — Is There a Magic Number?
Faculty: Bob Boruchowitz & Norman Lefstein
9:30 - 9:45 a.m. — Break
9:45 - 11 a.m. — Managing Workloads: External/Internal Benefits of Timekeeping
Faculty: Issac Merkle & Mark Stephens
11 - 11:15 a.m. — Break
11:15 a.m. - 12 p.m. — Small Group Sessions
12 - 1 p.m. — [Working Lunch] Developing an Effective Litigation Strategy
Faculty: Michael Barrett & Carlos Martinez